Saturday 31 August 2013

Homeschooling

I am a home maker and I am free to do things at my own pace, though, yes I do have to get things ready for my husband before he gets out to work early. So I am normally up early and finish my work by 8:30 am and then I am free to do what I want for the rest of the day.

And me being the person that I am, I refuse to sit at home all day long. I drag my kids who are 6 and 4 respectively out with me where ever I go, or rather they drag me out where ever they go!

This morning it was the children’s section of the library that I got dragged to. Ofcourse I didn’t realise it was a working day and kids that age were supposed to be in school. Did I tell you that my kids are being home schooled?

The librarian asked me why they weren’t in school and I said that they were being home schooled and she had a surprised look on her face. “Home schooling?” She said… “and what about the exams?” I had to laugh, the main reason I took them out of school was that I didn’t want the stress of exams.

I should mention something here, my 6 year old never stepped into a school till he was 3 and that is not the norm in India ofcourse, where kids the age 1.5 go to play school/ pre school , etc. He was fully potty trained at that stage and I wasn’t expecting any accidents in school. But he used to have accidents till he left school 3 years later. And then all of a sudden all the accidents stopped once we started home schooling. That shows how much stress my child would have gone through in school. One of the many reasons I chose home schooling, though I did not get too much support from home at first.

Now when I mention home schooling, many people are curious and ask me more and more information about that. Here is all the information I have on home schooling/unschooling. I hope it is of some use to someone.

The best place to look for homeschooling information in India is in the following three links

 




The
following link has a virual school about which there was an article in The
Hindu - has plenty of work sheets and stuff, but I don't think it is up to
standards.

 



The
following link is for National Institute of Open Schooling - NIOS is recognised
world wide and accepts homeschoolers to do their exams for 10th and 12th.
Students can enroll themselves as external students in regular schools or
exclusive places available for homeschoolers for Lab facilities.


Other
than this, there are many schools that accept children as external students
where students can attend the classes that they want to, use lab facilities,
join school trips, etc.

 

And
then there is a whole world of unschooling...




 


If you need any specific information then let me know what is needed and I can write more on that! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment