Tuesday 22 October 2013

Discipline? What Discipline?

When the topic of homeschooling comes up I get a lot of questions. Today's special was homeschooled kids lose discipline. What is discipline? I am not sure what they mean by discipline. Is waking up at 6:30 every morning discipline? If so I could actually do without that discipline as my kids wake up at that time every morning, without me waking them up. Heck! They actually wake me up on days that I am way too tired to wake up before them and keep everything ready!

Is going to bed at 7:30pm every day discipline, then they do that without me having to tell them. Actually they are better than most if not all my neighbours kids who go to school when it comes to going to bed on time.

Is sitting in the class room with their hands across their chest quietly and shaking their head for everything discipline? Then sorry, I don't need that discipline at all. I want my kids to think, to question, to be able to read when they can concentrate and play when they dont feel like sitting in front of the books, that way there is more productivity involved and less wastage of time for all those that are involoved.

Children should grow up as children. My kids play with lego, clay, paints, stones, leaves, toys, etc whenever they want. They study if they want, when they want, and guess what? They are academically ahead of all the children their age. They read much more than children their age, because they are not forced to.

So to all those people who look for discipline, my children are well disciplined, thank you very much! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment